Thursday, February 24, 2011

More about my birthday weekend

February 10-13, 2011 -- Okay, this is not a swimming post.  But I feel compelled to share my wonderful weekend!  Following my 50th swim at the Columbia pool (see last blog post), we checked in at our favorite hotel, the Eventi.  It's another Kimpton hotel, which is where we try to stay wherever we go.  The location is perfect (30th and 6th) and it's just got a great vibe!  Check it out at http://www.eventihotel.com/.

Birthday dinner was at a restaurant called PRUNE (http://www.prunerestaurant.com/).  In addition to the four of us, we were joined by Ellen, Steve, Phyllis, Evan, Ari, Paul and Mary.  We had a terrific meal and I am so touched by the travels of my family and friends for this event.  The birthday cake deserves its own shout-out: Banana cake with peanut butter caramel filling and vanilla buttercream frosting.  Probably the best cake I've ever had.

Ari and me

Yum....












Leah (second level, red coat)
Friday began with breakfast at Sarabeth's, another NewYork favorite, followed by a trip to the Guggenheim with Leah.  Leah and I are well-suited to visiting museums together;  we go at the same pace and our level of understanding/appreciation is about the same.  There was a special Kandinsky exhibit which we both loved!

Harvey & Leah, Ernie & Samantha, AJ & Anna
On Friday evening, Harvey, Leah and I had a quick dinner at Mario Butali's EATALY before heading uptown to meet Benj for the Columbia/Princeton basketball game.  By spectacular coincidence, both of Harvey's Columbia roommates, AJ and Ernie, were at the game with their daughters.  We could not have planned this better.  A post-game visit to Mel's for milkshakes capped the evening.



Saturday night was yet another wonderful event:  the annual Columbia Spectator dinner, held this year at the Columbia Club.  As outgoing Editor-in Chief, Ben delivered the State of the Spectator address, followed by keynote from Arianna Huffington.  It was a proud moment and an incredible event, shared by many of our family and friends as well as some of Ben's closest friends.

All in all, it was a truly wonderful weekend -- probably one of the best of my life!  I am thrilled to be 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment