Friday, February 18, 2011

Swim #50: Columbia University, New York, NY

February 10, 2011 -- Officially 50!  The Columbia University pool is where I first started serious swimming, so it seems only right that my 50th swim would be here.  It almost didn't happen:  the pool was scheduled to be closed for swim team practices for several hours during the window of time I could possibly get there to swim (after driving from Boston, and before birthday dinner).  Ben enlisted the help of the athletic facilities staff, who in turn enlisted the help of the assistant coach of the women's swim team, and voila!  A ten-minute window of pool time was opened for me in between women's and men's practices.

In my last few blog entries, I've written about pool temperature.  I can tell when the water is too warm for lap-swimming, but I couldn't have told you what the optimal temperature is.  Now I know, because I felt it today.  This is a pool meant for athletes, and the water was a perfect 78 degrees.  Most health clubs are around 80-82, and hotels warmer.  In any case, time was short, so I swam fast.  And it is remarkable how much faster you can swim in 78-degree water.

Nostalgia is a powerful force.  I really don't remember much about swimming here 30 years ago, but being here today meant the world to me.



And look at the fabulous t-shirt Deena got me for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment