Monday, January 10, 2011

Swim #32: San Francisco Bay

October 9, 2010 -- We have come to California for two reasons:  cousin Peter's bar mitzvah in Mill Valley, and a college interview for Leah in Los Angeles.  This is already a heavy agenda for a three-day trip to California.  Can I actually get any swims in?  I am hesitant to ask my family to indulge me, but like magic, the perfect reason and location appeared!

It is Fleet Week in San Francisco, and during the few hours of free time we have in between the morning bar mitzvah and the evening party, it is suggested that we drive over the Golden Gate Bridge to watch the Blue Angels who would be doing an air show over the Bay.  A few key questions ascertained that there is indeed a little beach right on the other side of the bridge, across from the Ghiradelli factory.  It would be a perfect spot to swim and to enjoy the show.

I have been cautioned that San Francisco Bay is rather chilly.  Prisoners have died when they tried to swim from Alcatraz.  Well, they were right -- it's cold.  The beach was packed with people watching the Blue Angels, but I peeled off my clothes (yes, I was wearing a bathing suit), picked my way through the people, and dived into the water.  I'm barely visible in this photo, but you can see my red bathing suit and blue cap.



I have a pretty consistent stroke:  I breathe to my left, every two or three strokes.  The cold water hurt my face so much that I had to start breathing on every stroke just so my face wouldn't have to stay in the water.  Once I figured that out, I started to really enjoy this swim.  And then I realized that if I swam on my back, I could watch the Blue Angels flying above me!  We did not manage to get a photo that shows both me and the planes, but hopefully you get the idea.  This was one spectacular swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment