Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Swims #12 and 13: San Diego, CA

College visits over, we are spending a delightful few days in San Diego, joined by Dawn, Mike and Olivia.  The Hotel Solamar is our home away from home -- a Kimpton hotel, one of many Kimptons we have stayed in (strong recommendation for Kimpton hotels....http://www.kimptonhotels.com/).  The pool is on a roof deck, designed more for visiting with a drink in your hand than for swimming. I did my best for Swim #12, but most of the people in the pool found it odd to see someone swimming.  It was nice to hang out up there, though, with a book and a drink.











Swim #13 was better, at Coronado Beach.  We had a little trouble figuring out where to park:  much of the beach access seems to be controlled by the Coronado Hotel, and they wanted us to pay $15 to park.  We managed to avoid that, and I plunged into the surf.  A little chilly, but I enjoyed the waves.  We found a wonderful little coffee shop just down the block, making it a lovely California morning.





 
 
We also spent a day in La Jolla, which was delightful, but did not include a swim.  I was itching to swim or kayak with the seals, but happily settled for playing by the edge with Olivia.  I wish we had had more time to explore the coastline around San Diego -- I can see that there are many more charming villages and beaches.  




Another trip out here will be necessary!  I close with a picture of Leah and Olivia, our beloved little peanut.

No comments:

Post a Comment