Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Swim #41: With the L Street Brownies!

January 1, 2011 -- I had to do it.  How could I not?  I've always wanted to do a New Year's Day plunge, and this was my big chance.  Plus, it was 50 degrees outside in Boston on New Year's Day.

The warm air temperature meant that huge crowds turned out for the Polar Bear Plunge, despite the fact that the water wasn't any warmer than normal.  I waited in line for about an hour with people dressed as penguins and Vikings, then finally made it inside the bathhouse to register and discard my sweats.  Harvey met me on the beach with the camera and my towel.  Posing for a "before" picture was painful -- the sand was wet and icy.
The plunge itself was like nothing I've ever felt -- I can only compare it to diving into a pile of needles.  I dived fully underwater, though, and swam a few strokes before turning around.  The balmy air meant that I felt completely fine when I got out.  A hot shower in the bathhouse, and I actually felt great!

I'd like to do this again next year.  Anyone care to join me?

1 comment: