Thursday, January 6, 2011

Swims #20 and 21, Provincetown, MA

August 18, 2010 -- Staff Summer Outing!  We board a ferry at Long Wharf and head to Provincetown for the day.  While most of my co-workers stay in town to wander, I grab two friends, rent bicycles and head to the beach via the Province Lands Bicycle Trail, roughly a ten-mile loop.  A description of the bike trail calls it "a narrow track full of vertical and horizontal 90-degree turns."  It is indeed hilly, twisty and sandy, but absolutely spectacular as it takes you through pine trees and sand dunes.

 It is a gorgeous, sunny day.  We ride first to Race Point Beach, were I find a bathhouse to change into my bathing suit.  Race Point is a beautiful beach, and a swim in the slightly chilly water was perfect for after a long bike ride!  Lots of kids are boogie-boarding and I am envious.





Back onto bikes, we ride to Herring Cove Beach.  I think my friends would have been happy to ride back to town and call it a day, but I am determined to get another swim in.  I didn't expect much, as the name of the beach is kind of unappealing, but I loved it!  The really neat thing about it is that it is completely pebbly, and if you are underwater when a wave rolls in, you can hear the pebbles tumbling over each other.  It is the most gentle, soothing sound, like an African rain stick.  For this reason, I stayed in the water for a long time, and we had to ride really fast back to town to catch our ferry.




Back on the ferry, I find that a few other co-workers had taken a water taxi out to the very tip of Cape Cod.  A beach that you can only get to by water -- this calls for a trip back to Provincetown next summer!  All in all, this was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment