Monday, January 24, 2011

Swim #34: Westin Waterfront Hotel, Boston, MA

November 13, 2010 -- Leah is out of town with NSPA, so Harvey and I sneaked in a little Boston getaway for ourselves.  We stayed at the Westin Waterfront Hotel, selected for its location (walking distance to the North End) and pool, and the fact that we had earned a free Saturday night at any Starwood hotel. We checked in late afternoon, and decided to do pre-dinner workouts.  At 5 pm on a Saturday, the hotel pool was completely empty.

I'm not sure you can appreciate the full effect from this photo:  the pool was in an atrium  with what seemed to be a vaulted, mirrored ceiling.  So, when I turned onto my back to do a few laps of backstroke, I could watch myself in the ceiling.  This was so cool!  I was completely mesmerized by watching my backstroke and hearing only the gentle splashes from my arms, and swam and swam and swam.  This ranks up there with my favorite swims.

The spell was broken the next morning, though.  In the light of day, the mirrored ceiling turned out to be skylights that only appeared mirrored against the dark sky.  And at 11 am, the pool was mobbed with families.  Oh, well.  I had my moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment